Julius Shulman

Monday, July 18, 2011


















I love modern architecture! I find peace and comfort in the simple lines and bare surfaces. Cuyler likes to joke around that my dream house is a glass ball that rolls around in the yard. This is, of course, a slight exaggeration of my disdain for traditional homes. Initially he wasn't thrilled with the idea of living in a modern home.

For a long time I would try to describe my aesthetic to him.......modern, but not contemporary, clean and simple, but not cold and hard, lots of natural materials like wood and stone, an open floor plan, and lots and lots of windows. Slowly I realized that it was Mid Century Modern that I loved, not just Modern and luckily he is discovering that he loves it too.

Julius Shulman was an architectural photographer best known for his photos of the Case Study Houses (above). Schulman's photography spread California mid-century modern around the world. His vast library of images currently reside at The Getty Center in LA. I got to visit The Getty years ago and hope to return sometime soon.......it is incredibly beautiful, just the building and gardens by themselves even without the incredible art. Until then, I will add these to my books to buy list: Case Study Houses, 2002 and Case Study Houses, 2008.

all images: Julius Shulman

1 comments:

Katherine Elizabeth Dominguez said...

Shulman had a way of capturing modernism like no other Architectural photographer. As an architecture student, his work never fails to mesmerize me. It is thanks to him that students of my generation have such beautiful images of these structures, and he is the sole reason that modernism can be remembered in such an honored light. If you haven't seen his documentary, I highly suggest it!

-Katherine

www.byKatherineElizabeth.com

LET IT BE All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger

 
09 10 11 12
Blogging tips