Just finished volume one, rounding out the A's of decorating. The above amazing photograph illustrated the following areas of decorating........
- Accessories + Accents: How to select decorations to bring your room to life. Including: how to work wall magic, select well designed objects, use compatible styles, work with color and scale, decorate for height, copy a color scheme, capture a mood and use shelves to unify groupings, use floor cushions, select and use pillows, choose the right plant and the do's and don'ts of area rugs.
- Additions: planning based on needs and expectations of the family. Including: floor plans, sketching, and remodeling design.
- Air Conditioning: How to achieve comfort control with out breaking your budget.
- Alcoves: How to use small areas in a dozen exciting new ways.
- Aluminum: How to work with aluminum in and around your home.
- Ambiance: How to unify a room around a striking piece of art.
- American style: A decorator's guide to American furniture.
'Select accessories; don't acquire them. If they're assets, their choice requires patience and discrimination. If you feel you must gratify a relative or friend by displaying his gift, give it a bedroom placement unless it is something that will truly enhance the beauty of the rooms where guests will be received. Don't be kind and put a gift painting on the mantel unless it's right there; store Aunt Emma's once fine teapot in a closet.'These books are highly entertaining and surprisingly helpful! I am starting to consider a shag rug on the wall and a card table in my living room......what do you think?
all images: The Practical Encyclopedia of Good Decorating and Home Improvement (get your own copy here)